Friday, November 16, 2012

Introduction: Hilde

Hello everybody,
First of all, let me just say that I am thrilled to be a part of this. I am really looking forward to getting to know you all.
My name is Hilde (which is unpronounceable in English, I’m sorry), I’m 19 and I live in the Netherlands. When thinking about the Netherlands, most people are instantly reminded of our drugs policy, the Red Light District and our national football team, but I grew up away from all that. I am from a very small town near the coast, with just one set of flashlights, a population of about 8000 and no high schools. We have five wind mills to compensate, though. My town isn’t the kind of idyllic, pretty place you might expect when you hear those characteristics. It’s kind of average-looking and there is not much to do, but I really like living here.
As you can probably imagine, it was quite a shock for me to start university in Amsterdam.  I had visited a couple of times, of course, but swerving through a city you don’t know all that well, while trying to get to class on time and having tons of new experiences was very different.  I really wasn’t used to being in a city at all. For instance, I am somewhat ashamed to admit it, but when I had my first class there just over a year ago, I rode a bus for the first time in my life.
But I have to say, the last year has been amazing. I got used to Amsterdam within a few months and I made some awesome new friends. Most importantly, I was (still am) really excited about my choice to major in Ancient Greek and Latin (As you can see in my picture, where I am geeking out over a bust of Augustus). I chose to go into this field, because I am fascinated by languages and, in my opinion, Ancient Greek and Latin are the best ones. I love that every single sentence is like a puzzle you have to solve to unlock some secret meaning behind it. And beside all of that, we learn about the cultural aspects of the people that spoke those languages: their history, their religion, their philosophy, their architecture and their art. It’s pretty fantastic.
As to what I want to do after I finish university, I am not really sure. The options in my field are kind of limited. Most people become teachers and that seems like a good option to me, but I’m also thinking about doing something that has nothing to do with my degree and just work for a charity. But then, imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia.
Just to tell a bit more about myself, I thought I would rip off all of your introductions and answer the same three questions.
To start with, what do I like? I love Harry Potter (I’m a Hufflepuff), Nerdfighteria and, like I said, languages. Although, for a person who likes languages as much as I do, I can speak very few. It goes without saying that I enjoy watching YouTube. My favourite channels are the Vlogbrothers, HankGames, elmify, hayleyghoover and MyHarto. Beside that I have some pretty uninteresting hobbies: I like to read, write, draw, play saxophone and ride bikes (very Dutch of me, I know). My favourite writers are J.K. Rowling, John Green, J.D. Salinger, Ovid and Vergil.
Secondly, what do I dislike? I am overall a positive person and I don’t get annoyed easily, but there are a couple of things that can  drive me a little crazy. For example, I don’t it when people complain about public transport. Maybe even more annoying are the people nodding their head fervently in agreement and repeating all the same arguments . It also annoys me when people don’t at least try to understand each other. I think it would help if we all imagined ourselves into other people’s places every once in a while, because I don’t like when people refuse to step out of their own set of principles and believes to learn more about other people.
And finally, what are some random facts about me? When I find money on the street, I add some; I always have to wear socks that match the t-shirt I’m wearing and my favourite Harry Potter character is Minerva McGonagall. Also, I have never done drugs in my life, I stay away from the Red Light District and I know absolutely nothing about Dutch football. I am, however, a supporter of both the Swindon Town Swoodilypoopers and Liverpool Football Club.
 
DFTBA and best wishes,
Hilde

11 comments:

  1. You add money to money on the street? WHY?

    Also, when you say match the t-shirt, do you mean colourwise? if yes, how many pairs of socks do you have? Or are you a monochromatic t-shirt colour wearing type person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I started adding money a couple of years ago, because when I found some, I didn't really know what to do with it. I mean, I didn't want to pick it up, because it made me feel greedy. But I also didn't want to leave it, because that would seem ungrateful. So I decided to do something fun with it, so other people find more money. As you can tell, I overthink little things. :-)

      As to my sock matching habit, I wear socks in the same colour, or at least a colour that's in the print. And yes, that results in me having about forty pairs of socks. I'm a bit of a collector, you could say.

      Delete
    2. I'm not judging, I have about 70 pairs of socks.

      Delete
    3. That's a really quirky habit to have. I approve!

      I now have this need to buy more socks. You people are making me feel inadequate.

      Delete
  2. I've visited Amsterdam in July and I love it! I was also very fascinated by the Red Light District, I think it's definitely worth to see once in your life. I'm not a big fan of hookers in windows (obviously), but it feels like a special kind of openness and freedom you can't find anywhere else!

    I should consider matching my socks to my T-Shirts... sometimes when I feel fancy I match my socks to my underwear, though.

    I had Latin in school for five years and I also liked it! It's like a puzzle you have to solve to translate a sentence and that's quite awesome. Ovid's metamorphoses were my favorite texts, they are really cool.

    Ending the rambling, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Amsterdam! It is indeed a city of rare freedoms and I've come to love it too. If you ever happen to be there again, you should tell me, so we can meet up!

      Also, Ovid is definitely one of my favourite authors as well! His poetry is simply mesmerizing!

      Delete
  3. Hilde may be unpronounceable in English but for a Finn it's no problem. xD

    I lived a large portion of my childhood in a town of 8000 people too. Though most of them were scattered in more rural areas, the town center and its surroundings had about 4000-3000 people living in the area. It was boring. And everyone knew everyone's business it seemed. Old ladies would stare at you unashamed if they felt like it. I've lived in a way smaller village too though. Man. That was something.

    Yesss! Finally another person who likes MyHarto!
    "This avocado looks weird. Let's cut it open. Is it weird on the inside? I don't know. You won't know until you've dated it for like a month." "This lime is on the edge because his wife just left him." xDDD

    Putting more money on the ground when you happen to find some is kind of sweet. You'll make the next person to see it even happier!

    Oh, and McGonagall is awesome. I loved her and Tonks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I took Latin for a little while. I liked it. The sentence structure resembles the Finnish sentence structure that it felt easy (Figures, our grammar is partially based on Latin, we borrowed some of it when we were, for the first time, trying to figure out how Finnish should be written. :P). I kinda feel sad that I dropped it really early but I did. I came to the conclusion that the teacher wasn't really teaching and I could have done the same thing at home by myself. I might pick it up again at some point. Useful in my field and all.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, most people know each other in my town too, but I kind of like that. They can be nosy though, but they're sweet people.

      MyHarto is definitely awesome! (The hipster river never gave a dam because it was too main stream. Hahaha.)

      I'm now very curious about what Finnish is like! If it's anything like Latin, it's probably extremely awesome.

      Delete

    3. Look at all these 'Hartosexuals' here xDDD yay!

      As for the awesomness levels of Finnish, eh *shrugs*. xD

      Delete